So you started a New Year’s resolution and you’re sore in a good/bad way. Congratulations! You just introduced yourself to critical volume, or the amount of micro-trauma required to tear down the ole contractile fibers known as skeletal muscle. The question is : Will you continue on your journey towards that great light at the end of the tunnel of your goals, or will you fail like so many have in the past??????????? Only time will tell.
A couple of things to consider. Do you:
- Have an exercise regimen that you will stick to for 6-8 weeks?
- Have a routine as part of your plan by waking up 45 minutes early or preplanning meals
- Have a progression and sub goals like a handstand, a chin up, or 10 pushups
- Have an accountability partner, gym buddy, or personal trainer?
- Assess your progress,week to week strength gains, body fat loss?
- Get better at counting calories and macro nutrients?
- Start hanging out with your healthier friends ?
- Go to bed and achieve 7-8hours of quality sleep a night?
- Document your routine via training journal, food journal and before/after pictures
*when or if you get sick, stick to the routine but change the plan **goals are relative to your current capacity for volume and strength level
Soreness will fade when your body adapts to the volume of work. A better question is when you get to your goal, what will you do after that?